Thursday, February 12, 2009

-5 ESPN Golf coverage

Kyle Whelliston, a great writer who focuses on mid-major basketball on his website TheMidMajority.com, wrote for ESPN. After an extremely critical essay entitled 'The Sports Bubble,' and other remarks he made that were critical of The Worldwide Leader, he was let go.

I have no illusions of ever writing for ESPN, but I don't want to be overly critical of their website. You know, just in case.

That being said, I think it's terrible that there is no link on the front page to anything resembling Golf.

They have all the major sports, and college basketball. But no golf?

Granted, Tiger isn't playing yet, but Golf is CLEARLY fifth in the minds of sports fans, behind only the NBA, NFL, MLB, and college basketball and football. The sheer numbers generated by NASCAR fans at races aside, I would argue that Golf and Nascar are ranked fifth in the echelon of major sports in America.

As I start my new blog here, on all things golf and some things not, I would like to have a direct link to the major sports network's online cache of information, whether or not I can get better information elsewhere.

So here is where I begin, on The Leaderboard, making this my top topic of the week. Each week you can return, and before the tournament du week begins I will cover numorous stories involving golf, sports, and anything in between.

If any ESPN honchos read this first post of what I hope to be many, note than I am not taking umbrage, just trying to make the point that golf is due more coverage than most other sports with or without Tiger being in the mix.

I think it's fair to say that most of what I write will contain Tiger-centric material. Over 80 percent in my estimation.

But the bottom line is that the golf season is the longest in sport, it is the most involved, and deserves coverage equal to the coverage it possesses in the sporting world.

The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am is underway, so I will be covering that this weekend. But come back for coverage all year.

Winter is still clouding the golf courses here in the Northeast, but it is alive and well across the country. Hit the links, make a few pars, and I'll see you at the 19th hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment